I’m now a proud Australian Citizen!

Post image for I’m now a proud Australian Citizen!

by Rita H. Azar on May 2, 2014

Bonjour!

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!  Oi, Oi, Oi!

The 1st of May 2014 is the day I became an Australian Citizen!

On my way to the ceremony, I just couldn’t believe that it was finally happening.  After a few tourist visas and a working holiday visa, I arrived to Australia in 2009 on a prospective marriage visa.  Then, I had a spouse visa, a permanent residency for just over two years and, after doing the Australian Citizenship exam, I had my Australian Citizenship Ceremony yesterday!

Wow, I’m so glad that this chapter of my life is complete and that I will have no more immigration forms to fill up and declarations to make.  Many people, when receiving permanent residency in a new country, will stop there and won’t go through getting their citizenship.  But, for me, it was necessary to complete the process to feel that I could turn the page, move on and have the full status of citizen in Australia.  For example, I can now have an Australian passport and vote!

I’m very proud of what hubby and I have accomplished and that we never gave up, even if sometimes it was quite difficult to maintain a long distance relationship and deal with all the paperwork concerning the immigration.

Thanks so much to all of you who gave me your Congratulations and all the love I received on social media.

There is always something special about the place where one is born and grew up.  Canada will always be my home, part of my heart will always be in Montreal.  But, I’m proud to be an Australian citizen now as I love this country very much and feel very happy in beautiful Melbourne.

Here are some pictures.  Some of them are blurry because hubby took them from a distance but it gives you an idea of the ceremony.

Australian Citizenship Ceremony 0

Australian Citizenship Ceremony 0.2Australian Citizenship Ceremony 0.1

Australian Citizenship Ceremony 1

Australian Citizenship Ceremony 2

Australian Citizenship Ceremony 3Australian Citizenship Ceremony 4

Australian Citizenship Ceremony 6

In front of Preston City Hall, where the ceremony was held.

Australian Citizenship Ceremony 5

So, what can I say…  G’day mate!  How’ you going?  Put a snag on the barbie!

Do you have more than one citizenship?

Enjoy your week-end!

Please, consider voting for The Crafty Expat in the competition Best Australian Blogs 2014, People’s Choice Award.  Check out my post where I ask you in three languages to vote for my blog!  Votes close Monday the 5th of May.  Here’s the link to the survey:

www.surveymonkey.com/s/BAB2014

Best Australian Blogs 2014

Au revoir!

Signature

If you enjoyed reading my post, you can subscribe by email and receive all my new posts in your inbox.  You can also like my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter, on Instagram and Bloglovin.
Please, leave me a comment.  Let me know what you think of my post or any opinion you would like to share.  Even though I don’t answer all the comments, I read them all and I love them!

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

Annie May 2, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Congratulations Rita…what a great achievement…my brother in law is about to go through this with a love from across the seas
Annie recently posted…Finally FinishedMy Profile

Rita Azar May 8, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Thanks Annie! Good luck to your brother in law. It’s a long process but it’s all worth it at the end.

Francesca May 2, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Congratulations Rita! You look so happy! I hope you’re celebrating in style :-)
Francesca recently posted…A Character’s Identity Takes ShapeMy Profile

Rita Azar May 8, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Thanks Francesca! It was a good day!
Rita Azar recently posted…Eureka Skydeck 88 – A virtual tour of Melbourne in the space of a blog post!My Profile

Angele Azar May 3, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Congratulations Rita! Mabrouk for your citizenship.

Rita Azar May 8, 2014 at 2:08 pm
Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me May 3, 2014 at 9:40 pm

How awesome Rita, very happy for you. I hope one day that I can become a citizen, but it’s quite hard as a New Zealander to get one. I hope you had a fab celebration! :)
Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted…Songs that remind me of living in NY during Sept 11My Profile

Rita Azar May 8, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Thanks Em! Why is it hard to get an Australian citizenship for New Zealander? I would have thought that it actually would be easy…

Lizzy - Muddle-Headed Mamma May 3, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Congratulations lovely! What an amazing feeling this must be for you after so many years of filling out documents and waiting – it’s such a long process! I do have dual citizenship – for Australia and for New Zealand – but funnily enough I’ve never actually been to NZ, I just have the citizenship because of my dad’s heritage. I would love to go there one day though. You look so happy in your photos. I’m so please for you! xx
Lizzy – Muddle-Headed Mamma recently posted…The Alphabet Weekends – G is for Good DeedsMy Profile

Rita Azar May 8, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Thanks so much Lizzy! It was indeed a great feeling! I never went to New Zealand. Would love to go there one day.

Grace May 4, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Congratulations, Rita! What a very exciting and memorable day for you!
I cried when we became citizens. I thought it meant that I had to eat bread and was no longer allowed to eat rice! I was 9 at the time :)
Grace recently posted…FYBF – The Boing Boing EditionMy Profile

Rita Azar May 8, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Haha Grace! I remember reading that on your blog! Thank you beautiful lady!

[email protected] May 7, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Crikey mate – goodonya!! I’m so happy for you Rita. No more forms to fill in and stuffing around. As a true blue Aussie born and bred – I welcome you as a new Aussie citizen! Montreal will always be your home but you have thrown yourself into Aussie life with gusto, embracing our country with an open heart and valid interest (you did so well in your test!!) so you are very deserving to be an Aussie citizen. Yay and cheers mate! Min xo
[email protected] recently posted…Pull up a chair. Let’s Chat!My Profile

Rita Azar May 8, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Haha! Thanks so much Min! Cheers Mate!

Jean May 8, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Congrats. Rita. I’m sure you’ll find Aussieland interesting over the next few decades since it’s probably undergoing some significant changes –at least in some of its cities.

My partner went to Melbourne for a few days.
Jean recently posted…From Race Around the World Series: Chinese-Canadian. Part 14My Profile

Rita Azar May 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Thank you Jean! I’m heading now to read your partner’s post.

ajay kumar May 11, 2015 at 11:53 pm

i m indian but i want australia citizenship but i m send email aussie govt and pm tony abbortt but not given me right answer how arrive in australia and how apply citizenship me q is can u sponser me and me age 22 Years i m student i love australia